Thursday, August 29, 2013

Thanks Google!

When you're a student it's sometimes hard to save money for things. Even the necessities, and my poor dog has been suffering the "no spending" freeze too. Although she doesn't complain (as much as I do), I still feel terrible not doing the things I would normally have done for her by a profesh groomer.

You see, Ella is a high maintenance dog. Her lovely locks of hair just simply grow and grow and grow. She never sheds, and in some ways this is a blessing, but then comes the expensive grooming bills every other month or so depending on how much tangling occurs between brushings.

If you're looking to buy a dog that doesn't shed be prepared to spend more on hair products and/or services than you do on yourself because They. Are. Not. Cheap. 

So seeing my dilemma, I have had to find alternatives to keep her locks healthy and at a reasonable length on my own. 
Yes, it's extra work for me, but the matting that happens on her hair just had to STOP.

So this is where google came in, I decided to see if I could figure out an inexpensive way to get her matts out, and give her a little bit of freshening since this was going to be a longer visit between groomers than normal.

Google didn't let me down. Cornstarch is the key! If your dog is matted you need a fine tooth come or rake, a slicker brush, and cornstarch. 
1. You rub the cornstarch into the matted areas.
2. Use the fine tooth comb/rake to back up the matts starting from top to bottom. (If you were alive in the 80's, it's similar to all the ratting that you might have done on your hair.)
3. Use the slicker brush to then brush out after the matt has reasonably come out.
4. You might want to bathe your dog here because at this point they probably have a fair amount of white dust all over them. 

I was amazed how well this worked! Delighted really!

                                
Rake
Slicker






No comments:

Post a Comment